Free background from VintageMadeForYou

Monday, August 13, 2012

Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins

I received one of the greatest gifts right before I went to college. My mom collected the recipes that she made regularly and combined them into a customized cook book for me. Before posting this, I got it out and noticed that it is completely worn and torn. The bottom has faded and in the front page there's a huge splot of mystery sauce. That's a sure fire sign of an awesome cook book

My mom is probably one of the best cooks I know. I remember having nothing in the fridge and somehow she threw together a last minute dinner and it was always delicious. So, ladies and gentlemen, it is indeed her fault I am such a food snob. We always had a hot meal and a little treat after. I was definitely spoiled. Okay, still am.

Anyways, I thought I would post one of my favorite recipes. It brings me back to my high school mornings where my mom would wake up early and bake muffins so I could have a fresh breakfast. I, of course was running around trying to find everything and to get ready on time and mom would bring me down a fresh muffin and a big glass of milk. I would take a second to shove it in my face and gulp down the milk and watch my favorite tv show ever The Golden Girls. Those 5 minutes of my mornings were the BEST! So, I'm missing my mom and her yummy baking and what do ya know, I have a few ripened bananas on hand. I hope this recipe lets you take a second to enjoy yourself and remember something your mama did for you that you enjoyed! Thanks mama!

Simple, Fast, Tasty Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins

This recipe is so easy and quick, it's a sinch to throw together and bake off in the morning for your family.

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups AP flour
2/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 T cinnamon
pinch of nutmeg
1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2 large)
1 large egg
1/2 cup (1 stick) melted unsalted butter
1/4 cup milk
3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Position your rack on the 3rd shelf. When I bake, I always bake on the 3rd rack. Line your muffin cups with liners or use a non-stick cooking spray. Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Mix mashed bananas, egg, melted butter, and milk in a medium bowl. Stir banana mixture into dry ingredients just until blended. Take care not to overmix. When you overmix quick breads they get tough. Stir in chocolate chips and if using, walnuts.

Divide batter among prepped muffin cups, filling about 3/4 full. Bake muffins until tops are pale golden and tester is inserted into center comes out with some melted chocolate attached but no crumbs, about 18-20 minutes. Transfer muffins to rack; cool. Serve with a tall glass of milk!

Wahlah!

1 comment: